|Code 200 (Internal) | Code 200 Portal Page|
Autumn and Winter Recreational Use of Wallops Island For Employees
The piping plover nesting area on northern Wallops Island is reopened for pedestrian and vehicular use. From September 1 through March 15, the recreational beach will extend north from the Launch Areas. Pedestrians and off-road-vehicles (ORVs) can gain access to the area via the gravel road and dune crossing northeast of Camera Station V-100. This crossing is clearly marked and is the only authorized ORV access point. Except for this crossing point, ORVs are not to be driven on or over dunes or into closed areas.
THE RECREATIONAL BEACH AREAS MAY BE USED ONLY DURING NONOPERATIONAL HOURS BETWEEN SUNRISE AND SUNSET. Nonoperational hours are normally weekends and holidays and before 7:30 a.m. and after 4:30 p.m. on weekdays. Launch activities may require additional closure of the recreational beach areas outside of normal working hours.
All recreational users should remember:
- Recreational areas are open from sunrise to sunset, nonduty hours only.
- The launch areas are NEVER open for recreational use.
- Maintain the natural state of the Island. Please properly dispose of all trash.
- Open fires, pets, and weapons are not allowed on WI.
- ORV access is limited to a single dune crossing via Camera Station V-100.