Program Areas - Environmental Planning & Impact Assessment
Program Manager: Shari Miller (757) 824-2327
The National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) defines a process which all Federal agencies must undertake to analyze impacts to the human and natural environment resulting from their proposed actions. The steps proceed in the following sequence:
- Proposal of an Action
- Development of Alternatives
- Public Scoping
- Description of Current Environment
- Analysis of Environmental Impacts
- Public Comment
- Issuance of a Decision
The WFF Environmental Office assists in the evaluation of environmental impacts associated with institutional and mission-related projects. We provide the following services:
- Review new or potential projects for inclusion within the envelope of the Final Wallops Flight Facility (WFF) Site-wide Programmatic Envorinmental Impact Statement (PEIS), or other existing analyses,
- Assist in the enviromental review of all GSFC projects including projects occurring at WFF. Click here to initiate and environmental and safety review.
- Assist in the management and/or preparation of EAs and Environmental Impact Statements,
- Coordinate public and regulatory comment process and attend public meetings,
- Assist in ensuring that all required environmental permits are obtained, and
- Coordinate NASA NEPA training for relevant project personnel.
For a list of projects at Wallops Flight Facility involving NEPA, please visit our documents page.